No doubt dating in the holidays is hard if you are single. All those holiday parties, awkward work parties, and family get-togethers.
Here are a couple tips from your friends at The Catch on how to rock during this holiday season and New Years.
- Be a yes wo(man). Don’t avoid holidays parties or social functions because you are dateless. What ends up happening if you flake out is you end up alone, being a couch potato and pack on those calories while watching your favorite show reruns. Sure you may get the “oh you don’t have a date?” from your annoying aunt or friend, but there is more to gain than lose here. For one, you can get creative on your response with excuses like – yeah I just broke up with him/her, I’m focused on me right now and doing really well with my career or even snarky like “I’m all about casual dating.” And there is always that chance that you may meet that him/her at the restaurant or bar you are at and you guys can bond over spiked egg nog. No one to kiss at midnight? There could be a handsome stranger waiting for you.
- Be Open Minded. We all have that perfect man or woman we want to take home for the holidays and kiss on New Years. For most of my early 20s I was focused too much on just looks and not the brain. All I ended up with was a lower IQ and always feeling fat. Make your resolution about finding the one that can make you laugh. Swipe right on that guy and then actually do follow up in a convo – I know it’s hard but you can do it!
- Reach out to Old Friends. Don’t be the guy/girl who does those massive text messages that say something impersonal and generic like “Happy Holidays” or “Happy New Year”. Actually take the time out to reach out individually to people whom you lost touch with, catch up with them, and chances are they may have some new friends that may lead to a potential date.
- Go Grocery Shopping and look damn good. There have been countless times when I have been picked up at a grocery store. Why? You usually are alone and usually find a lot of single people shopping as well. In any case, the single ones are easy to spot based on their shopping cart. If you are bold enough ask a guy in the fruit aisle “how do you know if a mango is ripe?”
- Do Something New – go into your Facebook events and find something interesting that you won’t normally do and do it! For example Morning Glory, a yoga class, Aerial Silks, hip hop.
- Workout. Working out releases endorphins, and endorphins make you happy. The more you work out the better you feel about yourself and it shows in your confidence, and confidence scores more dates.