The 5 Worst First Date Mistakes
The first date can be a wonderful thing if you put your mind to it. If you go in with the right attitude it may very well lead to a second date and much more from there. It does take effort on both parts, but if you are determined and know what to do then the first date can be a wonderful opportunity to meet somebody great. There are however some big mistakes that you want to be sure to avoid. If you make one of these mistakes they can destroy your first date, ruin your confidence, and ultimately be an obstacle in future –relationships.
There’s a good chance that you can go into the first date with nervous energy or even anxiety, and sometimes that can keep you from enjoying what may come to e. There are a variety of reasons why people blow it on the first date, but having awareness and then working through these issues is what matters. Try to learn from past mistakes and ensure that they don’t come up again, and you will be lucky in love. Far too many of us try to be somebody that we’re not or we let our nerves get the best of us, and this can lead to ongoing problems.
If you want to ensure that you don’t blow it on the first date and that you turn your luck around in love, here are the biggest mistakes to avoid on that all important first meeting.
- Talking constantly about your previous relationships or your ex: Though you may have been hurt or had a horrible breakup, the first date is definitely not the time to talk about it. Even if you feel comfortable with this person, they don’t want to hear about your previous relationships or how horrible your ex was. Save that talk for your friends and focus on the present in this first date, otherwise, if you talk too much about the past it may indicate that you’re not ready to move on just yet.
- Coming off as cocky or self-absorbed: Confidence can be a really great thing and can show them that there are wonderful things to get to know about you. Coming off as cocky, however, is something very different! If you are self absorbed or if you only talk about yourself, then this will serve as a huge turn off. Never be overbearing or talk too much about yourself, for they will want to end the date and never see you again.
- Talking without actually taking the time to listen and get to know the other person: Along the same lines, they don’t only want to hear about you without telling you something about themselves. Yes you want to talk and share things about yourself, but allow them the same opportunity. If you hijack the conversation they will see you as overly aggressive and overbearing, neither of which are good personality traits. You can kiss that second date goodbye if you do nothing but talk on the first date!
- Getting drunk or taking things too far physically speaking: In the end, you have to remain in control, for if you don’t then bad things may come about. Be sure that you limit your alcohol consumption because getting drunk looks bad and means that your inhibition is down. Though a first kiss can be a great thing on the first date, if you take things too far they won’t respect you—this will end up as a one night stand rather than the first date with future possibilities and it will ultimately hurt your self-esteem in the process!
- Asking invasive questions or talking about topics that are off limits on the first date: Do not ask personal questions that make the other person uncomfortable. Also be sure that you keep potentially controversial topics off the table on the first date such as religion, politics, or personal views. There will be plenty of time to get to know each other but save these topics for later on. Never make them feel uncomfortable or be invasive, for you will never get the chance to enjoy a second date. If you avoid mistakes such as these then you will be much more likely to get to that all important second date and get a chance to see where things go from there.